Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostThe Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Love and loyalty run deeper than blood...

The Vampire Academy Series
Richelle Mead
Forbidden romance, a ruthless social scene and unspeakable nighttime rituals... all part of the scene at St. Vladimir's Academy. Hidden away, St. Vlad's Academy isn't your typical boarding school: it is a place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens are trained to protect them. However all isn't fun and games as the fierce and deadly vampires, the Strigoi, threaten to close in on the student body...

First Impressions: When I first started this series with Vampire Academy, I was skeptic. The vampire hype was just picking up and I didn't know how I was going to like vampires. I had just read the House of Night and enjoyed it. I had read Twilight and didn't like it at all. So I was a bit uneasy about reading a book with more traditional vampires (based on the very old legends of Romania and Russia) because I wasn't into the whole "Vampires hunt and/or kill people for their blood." So, I was nervous. When I started, the first chapter grabbed me, but the few chapters after that were kind of slow. I didn't know if it was going to be a book I liked or even a book I was going to get through. I wasn't into the vampire as much as other book readers at the time and had stopped halfway through many books about vampires and other supernatural beings that were becoming big. But I'm sure glad I stuck with this series. It turned out to be wonderful and extremely addictive.
Setting: I fell in love with the setting. I'm a sucker for hidden worlds. The school is hidden away in the backwoods of Montana and is for Moroi vampires and dhampirs children and teenagers. Throughout the books, there's also more settings on the east coast of America and in Russia, which is one of my favorite countries, so that definitely grabbed me.
Characters: The main character, Rose, is one kick-ass chick. I can't think of a better heroine. Richelle Mead really knows what she's doing with her. She's a half-human, half vampire guardian in training who is quite a smart aleck in the best of ways, but she is also very protective of her best friend, Lissa, and won't let anything get in her way of protecting her. I think Lissa, a Moroi Princess, is a good contrast to Rose. She can be a little annoying at times, especially in the latter books. Sometimes I don't think she's grateful enough for Rose and is too stuck on herself. To contrast both girls, Mead puts in Mia who is also Moroi, but is the stereotypical snotty brat. All books have one of those somewhere. At first I thought she was kind of bland just because I've seen it everywhere, but then we learn a very interesting fact about her that changes that way you think about her. Now, as for the main males in the series....mmm....I love them all. Dimitri Belikov is amazing and very well-developed. Many times in books I've read, the main male would just be described as perfect, but not in this case. Boy, does Dimitri seem like the perfect guy, but he also has flaws and weaknesses that better his character. He's also very different from the other males in the series, Christian, Adrian, and Mason, all of whom are very well-developed as well. It's hard not to love all of them, but it's also great because there's a guy for every girl who reads the series. If you don't like the 'perfect' man and prefer the bad boy, Adrian is for you, but so is Christian. Although, they are still very different.
The characters won't let you down.
Writing Style: I absolutely think all over authors should bow down in the presence of Richelle Mead. She's extremely talented. You can really tell that she's growing with her writings. Usually in books written by non-young adults (Wink), you can tell that the author is not a young adult, however, I think Richelle Mead did an amazing job with the characters' diction and also with the writing in general. The only time I ever strayed from reading is in the first book. Toward the last half of the first book and throughout the rest of the series, I cannot put it down. I can't think of any other author that could do this story and the characters justice. The word choices she uses are perfect for the young adult age group. It's not a super-easy read like some YA books are. The writing definitely can relate to young teens, but also adults, who won't get bored with the style of writing.
Covers: The series just recently changed covers when the fourth book, Blood Promise, came out in August. The covers in the post are the new ones and I happen to love them. The covers for Vampire Academy and Blood Promise are definitely my favorites out of the 5. I don't care for the Shadow Kiss's cover as much and prefer the original cover, which you can view here. The new covers for Vampire Academy and Frostbite are very similar to the original covers, which can be viewed here and here. The cover for Spirit Bound (available May 18th, 2010!) isn't my favorite either. The girl bothers me for some reason and I don't care for the guy (mainly because I don't know who it's supposed to be, which is totally not cool. You'll see why when you finish Blood Promise). Overall though, I do love all the covers and especially love how the new covers feel. I only wish I had the first three in the new covers and hardback.
Plot: Okay, I take back what I said about Richelle Mead in the 'Writing Style.' She's not extremely talented.....SHE'S A FREAKING GENIUS!! The plot is amazing and highly original. You'd think it'd be similar to other books with schools, especially House of Night, which is also about a vampyre that attends a school, but Richelle Mead definitely takes her own direction with these vampires, which is highly enjoyable and smart. Usually when people ask you what your favorite book in a series is, you usually name them in a different order than they were released, right? Well, I have to say each book gets better and better. There's no way I couldn't name Blood Promise as my favorite. It completely met my expectations and even surpassed them. And before Blood Promise, Shadow Kiss was my favorite. The story takes twists and turns you would never see coming, which is always a great element. I often find myself thinking that something is going to happen or that I figured out the mystery, but it's never the case and I love that. There's also twists that literally make me say, "What? No way!" or "Oh, man!" Richelle Mead just made the twists perfect and either she completely thought it all through, or she's even more of a genius than I thought. They even leave off at cliffhangers that will just kill you. Even though we all claim to hate the cliffhangers that leave you speechless, we all know it makes the book and the series even that more amazing. Just be happy the first 4 are already on the shelves because if you had to wait for Blood Promise like I did.....you'd die. I always know a book is amazing when I finish it and sit there for a few moments gaping at the book. I did this with all books and after the 3rd and 4th, I sighed. I was speechless and that's always how I want to feel when I read books. The plot is surely one of the best I've come across.
Final thoughts: This is my favorite vampire series and is tied with The Hunger Games Trilogy for my all-time favorite series. I can't wait until May for Spirit Bound and I congratulate Richelle Mead on an incredible job!

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Covers: ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Absolutely! This is a must read for anyone who loves YA fiction! Some of you may wonder during the first book, but I guarantee you, you won't be disappointed!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead :: Comments

Okay so, I actually have this sitting in my room. ;D You've inspired me to read it. Lol. Well, finish reading it. xD.

<3<3 Very nice review dear~!
YAY! YAY I'm glad!!!

And thanks so much! Big Hug It's my first one ever!!!
i compleatly agree with your ratings vampire academy was just amazing it was like rose wrote the hole thing herself rather then the auther i felt like richelle mead was living the book as she wrote it which made the book sooo wonderful

love your review Very Happy
Thanks! And isn't she just amazing?!!! I know exactly what you mean! And that's really hard to do especially when you're not the age the character(s) are.
so get what you mean adults dont normal get what the teens what when it comes to books they other do it with adult talk but richelle got right to the heart of what teens wont in a book and i just love rose in the book
I know right? She's extremely talented!
Re: The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead
Post on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am by Love
One time when I was at the library, I picked up this book, read the back and I thought I wouldn't be interested in it so I put it back. But now I'm inspired to read this because of your GREAT book review. Thanks Evie!! Very Happy
Your welcome!!!! I did the same thing the very first time I saw it, but then I decided to try it out...and...boy, IT'S AMAZING!!!! You'll love it! And thanks for the compliment too! Very Happy :hug

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Young Adult Book Club :: Book Life :: Critic's Corner :: Book Reviews :: Enthusiastic Evie's Evaluations-
Jump to: