Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

Phantom by Susan Kay

Go down 
AuthorMessage
[Amii.x]
Anne Boleyn
Anne Boleyn

Favorite book genre : Fantasy and Historical Fiction
Currently Reading : Fallen by Lauren Kate
Favorite Book(s) : Phantom by Susan Kay

PostPhantom by Susan Kay

"Powerful.moving tour de force." says Publisher's Weekly, Phantom "adds.new depth to the [original story].. Haunting and unforgettable.a sensual and.poetic exploration of a man's internal conflict between good and evil and of a search for love amidst darkness and despair."

Phantom by Susan Kay.

*~Plot~*
I thought that the plot of this book was very good, overall. It is a very different take on the story of the Phantom of the Opera. It gives a much broader view to what could have been the Phantoms, named Erik in this book, life before the Opera House.
Also, another thing I like is that instead of portraying Erik as some sort of brooding old pervert who knows a lot about music, you can actually see how he is a musician and also a genius in many other areas. The book follows Erik from birth to death, occasionally though, switching the point of view, which is in my opinion another good thing. It also, gives us an idea of what could have made Erik into the person he is when he is known as the Phantom, rather than just assuming he had a bad childhood. It actually gives you proof of this. It help you to feel more sympathetic for Erik.
The rest of this could be considered a spoiler so, click on the following if you want to finish reading:

Also, I liked that in the end Christine really did love Erik and not Raoul. I mean, it’s not that I don’t like Raoul, though really, I don’t, it’s just that in my opinion Erik and Christine are meant for each other. They share their love of music and that is also why Erik loves her. Not because she’s beautiful but because she can sing so well. Whereas, Raoul just thinks she’s got a pretty face. Not to mention, he’s a fop. (:

*~Characters~*
Erik: He is, of course, my favorite character in this book, and in any version of Phantom. I admit, I have a rather unhealthy obsession with the Kay’s Erik. xD. He’s my dream man. ;D But I digress. There’s so much to love about Erik. He is a genius but really he has the mind of a child. All he wants is to be loved and accepted for his talents. Though it seems to be hard to find people who are truly accepting of you for who you are on the inside. The significance behind his character has meaning even in today’s society. No one freely admits to being judgmental but we all are. And if we were given the choice of befriending Erik in any situation, more likely than not we would be afraid of him for how he looks and not be able to accept him for his personality. Another thing I like about Erik is his love for music. Being a singer, I’d say musician but other than singing I can only just barely play the piano, I am a little biased in the music category but still, I think music is something we can all share. And I think it is easy to relate to Erik in expressing and feeling emotion and other things through music, because really, you can say so much with it. (:

Christine: Okay, I’m not a huge fan of Christine, to be honest. Mainly because she always ends up with Raoul, and well, she seems a bit whiny to me. But I love her character in Kay’s Phantom. (: She is a bit stupid at first but in the end she realizes her true feelings, and that’s all that matters to me. Plus, I like the part with the spider when she wants to kill it but Erik sets it free. xD. It sort of makes me laugh but it actually is really meaningful. /:

Raoul: If you haven’t figured it out, I hate Raoul. Though, again, Kay has a way of making me like him by the end.

The fact that Raoul knows his child is Christine and Erik’s but raises him as his own anyway, really makes me like him. (:

Nadir: Nadir is also known as the Persian in other versions or just a investigator or police officer, and he is not mentioned in the musical. But, Nadir is my favorite character aside from Erik. (: Of course, being what I would call Erik’s best friend, he has to have a lot of patience and probably kindness. But just everything about him makes me love him. He is one of the few people who can tolerate Erik and his craziness, and still be able to love him as a friend should. Overall, Nadir is just a really great guy and yeah, I love him. <3

*~What I Did/Did Not Like~*

Likes: The overall meaning behind this book and really, any version of this story is what makes me love it so much. The fact that we should all be able to love others not for how they look but for what is inside of them. (:
I also liked, again, the fact that it went throughout Erik’s life. But also that it jumped from character to character. Oddly enough, my favorite part was the part from Nadir’s point of view and not Erik’s. xD. Probably because it was one of the most interesting. And I really liked the torture chamber that he built for the Queen-lady (I don’t remember her name or what she was called). Even if it did kill people. Haha.

Dislikes: There wasn’t anything that I disliked about this book, believe it or not. xD. Maybe I’m biased because I love it, but it honestly was a very well-written, good book. (:

*~My Favorite Parts~*
I liked every moment of this book but I definitely have a few favorites.
1. Nadir’s, I think, son, playing with the toy that Erik made for him. (: It was just really cool with all the magic involved and just the fact that is shows some of the human emotion inside of Erik that you don’t really get to see or understand unless it’s acted out, if that makes sense.
2. Erik’s birth scene. When Madeline, Erik’s mother, asks the priest to let her name her child after him, I found it kind of funny that he complied. xD. Erik was so terrifying to everyone, but I suppose priests have to always do the right thing even if they don’t want to. (x
3. When Giovanni’s daughter gets killed by the column-thingy. I don’t know why but I just like that part. Maybe because I didn’t like his daughter much.
4. Erik’s time with the Gypsy’s. Especially in the end when he kills Javert.

Super Gang Evie, Rosey, and Amii!!! We're the SUPERGANG!! <333

Who do you think you are? Running round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts, and tearing love apart.
You're gonna catch a cold... From the ice inside your soul.
So don't come back for me. Don't come back at all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://temporary-insanity.darkbb.com