Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostHush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Falling in love was never so easy . . .or so deadly.

Hush, Hush
Becca Fitzpatrick

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

First Impressions: The cover is AMAZING! I was immediately drawn to this book when I saw the cover on Barnes & Noble's website. When I read the description, I didn't really know if I was going to love it because I had never read a book with fallen angels before. I thought they'd resemble faeries or something, and I'm not too fond of faeries. But, boy, was I proved wrong and did the story reflect the brilliance of the cover!
Setting: I enjoyed the setting. The story is set in a very foggy Maine, which definitely made me more entranced by the story. It made it 'creepy' in a good way and that definitely helps the story. It wouldn't have worked anywhere else, I don't think.
Characters: The characters are FABULOUS! The main character, Nora, is a very good lead, I think. She's strong, yet vulnerable in a good way. I also love her counterpart in the story, Patch. I think he's so mysterious, which makes me want to read about him more and more. However, I think Nora's best friend, Vee, stole the spotlight. She's hilarious and a great addition to the story. You can just tell she's the life of the party. We all know each book has the 'mean girl' or the 'snobby, stuck up girl' and this story also has one, but she's a bit different and Ms. Fitzpatrick doesn't go too much into her, which I think is a smart move on her part. She's important, but she doesn't take away from the main characters and their path. All of the other characters are very well written as well, including the ones with the smallest parts.
Writing Style: I was very impressed with the writing. Not once was I 'annoyed' with anything. The characters dialect was fresh and the inner dialogue was also very well written. Sometimes when I'm reading a book, the inner dialogue is a bit odd or annoying, but I thought Ms. Fitzpatrick wrote it very well. She made me believe she was a teenager writing for a teenager and not an adult writing for one, which is always a plus for me! This is another book that, like Vampire Academy, has writing in which readers of all ages will enjoy. Teens and Adults. Another very risky thing Ms. Fitzpatrick did, she didn't use any cussing. I say it's risky because most teens cuss nowadays and some think it's more 'real' when characters curse. I, personally, enjoy books more without a lot of that, so I salute Ms. Fitzpatrick for that.
Cover: I honestly believe this is probably the most beautiful cover I have ever seen. It looks even better in person than it does on the computer. The cover (my hardback edition) is made of a different material than a normal sleeve and it makes the cover look even better. They picked the perfect model for Patch and he (the model) and the photographer did a very, very good job capturing the magic of this book. Sometimes the covers of books don't match the interior, but I'm glad this cover does. Sadly, most of us look at the cover before reading a book (now, don't lie, I know you all do it!) and it's great that this is a brilliant cover so that more readers will pick it up.
Plot: I enjoyed the plot very much! All throughout the book, I kept saying, 'It's him doing it' or 'It's her!' or 'That's what happened!' And each time, I was completely proved wrong. I didn't know what was happening or who was doing it (I won't say what this is) until the end. I absolutely love books that can do this to me. It's unpredictable in most areas. There were a couple of hints at some things that I got right off, but that wasn't most of it. I also think it built up really well. In some books, the story will bore me until the end, or the exciting action will be in only a few chapters and then it'll die down, however, this story built well through the end. There was some exciting action happening throughout, but it was subtle in a good way, and then it all lead to a great ending! There's also humor throughout the book, mostly coming from Vee, and I found myself laughing out loud many times. There's also quite a few twists within the characters that I never really saw coming. Sometimes I would get that feeling that something was 'off' about a certain character, but never would I expect some of the stuff Ms. Fitzpatrick threw in. It's a very well developed plot and it kept me in it until I finished the book.
Dislikes: I only have one and it's that....there's no Chapter 22! It goes from Chapter 21 to 23. Sad That's the only 'negative' thing I have to say about this book, because it's just so great.
Final thoughts: This book has definitely earned a spot in my top five books, surpassing The Immortals Series and joining Vampire Academy, The Hunger Games, Prophecy of the Sisters and The Darkest Powers Series. I can't wait for the sequel, Crescendo, coming in 2010!

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★
Covers: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Oh yeah! I highly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy novels and to even those of you who don't care too much for fantasy. The fantasy element is important, but also not stressed or overdone. It's more like the icing to the cake, whether than the focus of the story. Anyone who loves YA fiction, will love this!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile