Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone fighting against you?

The Hunger Games Trilogy
Suzanne Collins

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

First Impressions: I passed this book a few times in the store and it never appealed to me. The cover didn't really draw me in nor did the title. I was like 'The Hunger Games?' Do people starve themselves or something? Then one day I read the description and I still wasn't that drawn into it. But someone recommended it to me and then I asked someone else about it and they also said it was amazing, so I decided to try it out and I'm so glad I did because it's my favorite book as of right now.
Setting: I loved the setting. I thought it was very clever. It's set in the ruins of North America, so think thousands of years in the future where 'The Capital' rules all 12 districts and keeps everyone in check. Each of the districts have a certain deed that they specialize in. For example, mining or fishing. It's very well thought out, but what's the best about it (at least to me) is you only know as much as the main character does about the capital and the surrounding districts, so you can only imagine what they're really like.
Characters: This book has one of the strongest female characters I've come across. She's tough yet sweet. And kills (literally) with a bow and arrow. She's one of my most favorite characters of all time. Her counterpart, Peeta, is a very good male lead. Luckily, he doesn't distract the reader from the story since this isn't a romance novel or a 'OMG! The guy is the hottest guy ever!' novel. Without any spoilers, the other guy in Katniss's lif is Gale, and even though he's not in the story much, I like him. Mrs. Collins also develops the rest of the minor characters very well and makes you care and love (or hate purposefully) them. I also really love the books' drunk games' survivor, Haymitch. He's great and rather hilarious! And luckily, Mrs. Collins doesn't over due her characters like some authors do when they have many characters involved in a story. There's a lot of characters, but it's not hard to keep them straight and remember who they are.
Writing Style: I enjoyed the writing style. Mrs. Collins writes very well. The only thing is, I wish it was a little more 'higher level' of reading. But I have to remember it's from scholastic and the target age is 12+ so there is no cussing, which is fine and actually works well even though it wouldn't seem like it after reading the description. However, the writing did flow extremely well and the dialogue (inner dialogue included) is very well written. Katniss didn't sound like a 21st century teenager which is a good thing, but she still sounded like a young girl of only 16. There was also a good balance of characters to love and to 'hate' or 'dislike' and that really made the story more believable and better. One thing I enjoy, is the fact that the story only follows Katniss while in the games. Mrs. Collins could have very easily put the story in third person, but I'm glad she kept it first person so that I can only wonder what the other tributes are doing.
Cover: The cover of the first book, The Hunger Games, really didn't draw me in at all. I like the mockingjay symbol on the front, but it wouldn't be a book I would normally pick up. However, the cover of the second book, Catching Fire, is beautiful. I love this cover. The bright red would catch my eye in a second and if I hadn't already been into the series before it came out, it would have inspired me to get the first and read the series. Both covers fit with the story very well and that's always a good thing for me because I don't really like when some covers are just made to be pretty and don't really fit with the story.
Plot: I love the plot of this series. It keeps me on the edge of my seat throughout, wondering what's going to happen. Just when I think something's going to happen, the story takes a very exciting turn. It's also a very interesting storyline with elements I would have never thought to put in a story. Mrs. Collins takes a risk by making children kill each other, but it works and it's not too creepy or anything. I also enjoy how the plot focus switches between the 1st and 2nd books. It goes from being an action novel to a political/action novel. Now, don't be scared when I say 'political.' It's not like the kind nobody likes, it's more of a 'Katniss did something 'The Capital' doesn't approve of and what are they going to do now. It's very good and there's many turns you would never suspect. And there's also action in the second novel as well.
Dislikes: Okay, so, my only dislike isn't really about the book, it's just that.....the book isn't long enough!!! *mad face* I want to read more and more and the next and final novel won't come out until August 24th. *mad face again*
Final thoughts: Brilliant novel! I was left at the end of the first in awe and I was left at the end of the second just wanting more! So much more! This is a novel that I'm actually excited that there's going to be a movie (see the bulletin board for more on that) and I hope it's as good as the books!

Ratings:

Setting: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★
Covers: ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? YES!!! I recommend this to anyone you loves YA fiction. It's a great read for pre-teens as well as adults and will keep you intrigued and wanting more!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins :: Comments

Re: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Post on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:48 pm by LibielShadow
That person was me! Very Happy
Post on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:09 pm by Evie J
Yes she was! Smile
Post on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 pm by annmarie
I loved the book to great reveiw xx
Post on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:46 pm by Evie J
Thanks! Very Happy
Post on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:27 am by joe
i have read the hunger games it was amazing. your review is great and it makes me want to read the book again Smile

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Young Adult Book Club :: Book Life :: Critic's Corner :: Book Reviews :: Enthusiastic Evie's Evaluations-
Jump to: