Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostBeautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Some loves are meant to be…others are cursed.

Beautiful Creatures
Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

First Impressions: I found out about this book way before it came out and I was already obsessed, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Luckily, in this case, it ended up being a great thing! When I finally got the book for Christmas, I couldn't wait to get lost in its 565 pages....
Setting: This was what first appealed to me when I read the description back in August. I love small towns with secrets and mysteries. I think it's probably one of my most favorite settings when it comes to books. And it was also in the South (in South Carolina), which I've always loved the plantation homes, so that was definitely a plus for me. I think they're gorgeous yet mysterious and dark. Such a perfect setting for a story like this.
Characters: I loved every single character in this book. Sixteen-year-old Ethan is a great main character. He's so different from everyone in Gatlin, which makes him so lovable. And he also has a good sense of humor, but sometimes it's awkward, which makes him even better. He's a simple, down-to-earth, guy who's not 'perfect' and I love him! He also cares deeply for the other main character, 15-year-old Lena, who I also love. The minute she entered the story, I knew she was going to be great. She just had an (invisible of course) aura about her that automatically makes you love her. What I love about her most is that she's vulnerable yet strong and very, very powerful. She even has some humor with her as well; sometimes you wouldn't expect some of things she does out of her. The minor characters are so, so great as well. Amma, the woman who looks after Ethan, couldn't be any cooler if you ask me. She's the perfect character. Lena's uncle, Macon, is very mysterious and a very strong character as well. Ethan's best friend, Link, is quite the story's clown. I laughed at a lot of the stuff he said and did. The other 'dark' characters are also great, but I won't tell you anything about them Wink
Writing Style: I rather enjoyed the writing style, especially since Garcia & Stohl wrote through the point of view of a boy. I don't usually read books where a boy is telling the story and when I do, I'm normally not to into the story. However, this really worked. I'm also surprised at how well the writing flowed. As someone who has co-written a book, I know how hard it can be to make the writing flow and make everything come together. I couldn't tell the difference in writing and it seemed as though one person wrote the book. Also, the book switches time periods a few times and a lot of times in books, it doesn't ever work or flow for me, but it worked extremely well in this book and isn't overwhelming or too much at all. I rather enjoyed those parts, as they were some of my favorites. There also wasn't any cussing (only one time toward the end) and I really appreciate when authors can do that and still make the characters believable. In this day in age, that's hard to do for young adult books (especially in books where 'bad' things happen).
Cover: I absolutely love the cover! It's definitely one of my favorite covers of all-time. It's so simple, yet it portrays the tone of the book perfectly. Deep, dark, mysterious, with a little light.
Plot: Okay, now, I was very intrigued by the plot. I kept wanting to read more and more and more to find out what was going to happen. I loved how there was a classic love story in the mix of all the magic. The book was so long that I really hadn't the slightest clue to how it was going to end. Even though you think you know what was going to happen, you're shocked. There were only a few times that I got a little bored, but that would only last for, like, two pages, then I was over it. But that's to be expected a little in a book that's over 550 pages long. I really liked that fact that it wasn't all magic. There was a lot of 'normal' scenes between characters in edition to the supernatural element. I also rather enjoyed how they introduced the magic. I won't say how, but I did like it. There was also a lot of original magic and supernatural elements. Normally, there's only so much you can do with magic because almost everything has always been done, however, Garcia and Stohl really put their own twists into it. And they even introduced some new supernatural elements that differ from any other book I've read.
Dislikes: I only have a few and they aren't even that big of a deal. But, there were just a couple of points where I got a little confused. And also a couple places where it lost my interest, but only for a couple of minutes. Both of these can be a result of my own self, though. So, I can't say if it was the book or not.
Final Thoughts: It was a brilliant, brilliant read! After I finished, I sighed and sat there thinking for a bit. If I didn't have such a long need-to-read list right now, I would probably read it again. I know I will be reading it again once I'm finished reading my other new books. It was just that great and I can't wait for the next book, whenever that may be coming out. I'm also rather interested in the movie that's in development. It'll be interesting to see how they're going to do it. Some of the parts may be difficult to portray on screen.

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★
Covers: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Abso-freaking-lutely!!! It's brilliant! And a must read for anyone who loves dark fantasy and magic!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile