Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostThe Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Carrie Ryan

In Mary's world, there are simple truths.
The Sisterhood always knows best.
The Guardians will protect and serve.
The Unconsecrated will never relent.

And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.
But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.
Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?

First Impressions: Okay, so, I saw this book many times at the book store, but I always had my hands full with other books and never got it. Finally, I asked for it for Christmas and Viola! I got it finally. My first impressions after reading the description and seeing the trailer, I was excited. I thought it was going to be great. I like 'scary' books as well as others, so a book about zombies intrigued me. At first, I was let down and I didn't know if I could get through it, but I'm glad I did.
Setting: I loved the setting. I thought it was perfect for the way the story was going. I wish there was a little bit more of a description of the town, but other than that, I loved it. Creepy and solitary.
Characters: I'm not attached to any of the characters really. None of them were too well developed if you ask me. I'd have to say the main character was a very strong one. At times she was, but it wasn't consistent. The supporting characters were just okay. Because of this story, it would have been great if the readers were emotionally attached to them, but I wasn't at all. I started to a little toward the end, but by then it was a bit too late and I wasn't as touched or hurt or sad or 'insert emotion here' as I would have liked to. Overall, the characters were just okay. They had potential, but they needed a lot more development. I liked them, but didn't love them.
Writing Style: I think Mrs. Ryan is a good writer, but I don't think she's a great writer. I have a feeling though that she'll grow in her next book. I definitely see the potential there. Throughout the first 100 pages or so, too many characters and scenes were under developed and too many things were repeated. Sometimes the same thing would be repeated on multiple consecutive pages and I kept finding myself say 'I GET IT ALREADY!' I appreciate Mrs. Ryan trying to grab the reader's attention within the first few pages and I think if it were written and developed differently, it would have. Other than under developing a lot of things, especially in the beginning, she's not a bad writer. The grammar was nice to read and mostly everything flowed quite well.
Cover: I happen to like this cover very much. There's also a new paperback cover out that is nice two. But this hardback cover is what first drew me to the book. It makes me wonder and I like covers that make we wonder what's happening or what's going to happen.
Plot: The plot was both good and bad for me. The first 100 pages were almost 'horrible.' Now, it wasn't horrible, but what I mean is, it was both too slow and too fast at the same time. Nothing was really explained enough, so I didn't really know what was going on. And I was bored until the action started. Once the action started around 130ish, the book held my attention and I couldn't put it down. The story is actually quite interesting and I've never heard or read anything like it before. It's mysterious and creepy and dark. There were some twists I didn't expect, but for most of it I was even trying to guess what was going to happen. I figured out basically how it was going to end, but not completely. The end still shocked me and I 'hated' it in a good way. It was shocking and sad and happy all at the same time.
Dislikes: Nearly the first half of the book is boring, confusing, slow, fast, jumbled, and almost made me want to put it down. If I didn't force myself through it, I wouldn't have known that the book was actually good. None of the characters were too well developed and I didn't find myself falling in love with any of them. The important parts and information that was crucial to the storyline, wasn't developed enough.
Final Thoughts: It was a good book, but not a great book. Will I get the companion novel? Yes, I will. Will I ever read it again? Probably. It's a book that I absolutely love and it's not up there with my other favorites, but it is a very descent book. If you start it and are bored, try to get through until the middle, then I'm sure you'll be okay. If you started it and put it down, I suggest trying to pick it back up.

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Cover: ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Yes, if you love creepy zombie stories or any fantasy YA novels. No, if you hate slow books that take forever to get to the good stuff. Try it if you're not sure.

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile