Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostNorth of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?

North of Beautiful
Justina Chen Headley

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

First Impressions:I had seen this book many times when I made my rounds in the bookstore and I had picked it up a few times, but was never too compelled to get it. I liked the description, but nothing was ever grabbing me and yelling at me to get it. After all the good things I heard about it when we declared it Book of the Month, I was excited to read it, but let me say, I think I may be one of the only people who didn't fall in love with it.
Setting: I loved the setting. I loved how it was a part of the story and not just where the story was happening. That's not something that happens a lot in stories.
Characters: I enjoyed the characters. I thought some of them could have been just a tad bit more developed, but over than that, each character had a good role. There was a good balance between characters to love and characters to 'hate' or dislike. None of the characters annoyed me, but there were a few times that I wondered a bit more about a certain couple of characters. One of them, though, the main character didn't know very well, but one of the others, I wanted a little more insight to and background for.
Writing Style: Overall, the writing was very good, but it just wasn't my favorite style. I'm not a fan of books that start a lot of the sentences with the action, such as, 'Eating, I talked' or 'Sitting down, I did this.' That just irks me for some reason, but others may not mind. I felt the descriptions of many things and characters were done very well, but Ms. Headley somehow wasn't able to keep my attention too well. Although, that's just me. Many others found it too hard to put down, so you must be the judge of that.
Cover: I like the cover a lot. Especially since the girl's hair is covering half of her face. And I also love the compass on the front. Those two things were what made me pick up the book in the bookstore. The only thing I don't like is that they used the same picture as Evermore by Alyson Noel and they new about it, so that's not cool to me. But nonetheless, it's still a very beautiful cover.
Plot: I liked the plot. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It's split into 3 parts and for the entire 1st part, I wasn't very interested in what was going on. There were certain chapters that I enjoyed and certain scenes, but I found myself getting bored quite a bit. It wasn't until about the last third of the book that I really started to get into it and love it. Ms. Headley put in wonderful lessons for readers to learn and displayed them in beautiful ways and once she started making that lesson more prominent in the story, the book was unputdownable.
Dislikes: I got bored during a lot of it. I want books to grab me and keep me, but this one grabbed me, let me go, grabbed me, and let me go again.
Final Thoughts: It was a good book. After finishing it, I realized I enjoyed it more than I thought. Is it a book that I'll read again? Eh...I might to see if I get into it more. Is it a book that has still stayed with me after I finished it? Yes. The lesson was a truly beautiful one and that will be with me probably forever.

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Cover: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Yes if you're into books about friendship and romance and finding yourself. No if you want action stuff to happen. It's definitely a book to try out if you read anything.

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile