Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
36%
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
14%
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
21%
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
6%
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
9%
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Share | 

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

PostThe Maze Runner by James Dashner

Remember. Survive. Run.

The Maze Runner
James Dashner

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

First Impressions:I've been wanting to read this book from the first time I stumbled across it online. I was looking for more dystopian novels after reading The Hunger Games and let me tell you, this is right up there with that book if you ask me.
Setting: The setting was incredible! The detail and creativeness of this blew me away. I won't give too much away, but the setting is one of the main focuses of the story, if not the main one and it had to be perfect for this story to work; it definitely was.
Characters: The characters were great! All of them were teenagers and all boys, except for one girl. They each were well developed and I loved all of them. Some were funny, some had very distinct voices, which isn't something you see all the time.
Writing Style: The writing was amazing! It's one of the few third person books I like. Excuse me, loved! The writing was one of the elements that made the book much more enjoyable. Mr. Dashner definitely jumped onto my favorite author's list. He had a way of keeping a reader that's hard to do and made everything that unrealistic, realistic. Even the way he wrote in third person was unlike anything else I've read.
Cover: The cover is one of my all-time favorites. The colors and the elements really fit well with the contents of the story.
Plot: In.Cred.A.Bull! Really. The story was amazing and so thought out. It had everything I love in a story; drama, action, adventure, mystery, humor, etc. There wasn't one second where I was bored. If I had time, I would have devoured it in one setting. From the very beginning, I was sucked into this world and the story and it was intense all the way through. With twists and turns I never saw coming and it made my mind work in a good way. I wanted to try to solve the maze with the characters. Nothing was hard to remember like you think there would have been with a story like this. In the beginning, it was so mysterious and it was great not to know what was going on so that we were just as clueless as the main character. Everything unraveled at the perfect pace and there was a good balance with humor. I loved every minute of it.
Dislikes: Okay, so I'm totally looking into this too much, it's the math side in me. But each month, a new kid is brought to the Glade, but then the person who had been there the longest, had only been there for two years. That means there were only about 24 kids, however, in the book, it seemed to be much more than that.
Final Thoughts: This book was amazing and it's on my top five list! Too amazing for words and I want the next book so bad!

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Cover: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Definitely! That's a no brainer! Especially if you liked The Hunger Games!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

The Maze Runner by James Dashner :: Comments

Re: The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Post on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:58 pm by LibielShadow
Gosh, now it makes me want it even MORE!
Thanks, Evie! Very Happy
Great review!
Post on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 am by Evie J
haha! Welcome!
It's a must read!!! Loved every second of it!
Post  by Sponsored content

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Young Adult Book Club :: Book Life :: Critic's Corner :: Book Reviews :: Enthusiastic Evie's Evaluations-
Jump to: